Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > Woah, let's be very clear here. There was zero agreement to promote
> > the name postgres. There was agreement to state that Postgres was an
> > acceptable form of the word PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Which I do still agree with, but that is far from "promoting".
>
> Here is a thread where I propose the "promoting" idea and general
> agreement on it:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2007-09/msg00257.php
>
> and here is where I think you are agreeing to do such promotion in the
> FAQ, at least:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2007-09/msg00279.php

No. That was me stating that the current FAQ stating that Postgres was
an acceptable form of PostgreSQL was enough. Which I do still agree
with.

I have stated that *if* we were going to make wholesale documentation
changes that we should do it in the form of PostgreSQL, hereafter known
as Postgres...

I don't like it but I believe it would be a fair compromise.

> I have the email addresses and opinions of a majority of advocacy
> posters.  I can post it again if you want or we can go through this
> all again, probably with the same result.

You are welcome to bring it up again. I am not going to. I find the
issue currently closed with the FAQ entry.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Attachment