Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster?
Date
List pgsql-general

> Hi there,
>
> I read dozens of times the "TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster"...
>
> Now, what am I supposed to do if I launched a query which takes ages,
> and which I want to interrupt?
>
> Thanks for any advice,

Tracing through the other threads, this is obviously not the regular
wayward query, but one that won't die by the normal methods.

Unfortunately, I came across this recently, and the only solution I
found was to do a "pg_ctl restart -m i" (Yes, I tried -m f first).

Luckily, the db in question was such that the front ends didn't
suffer horribly from this and reconnected, and that the database
finished up its recovery in a timely manner.

Hopefully, I can generate a reproducible example so I can file a
bug, but haven't gotten that far with it yet.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com