Re: Crosstab Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: Crosstab Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Em Thursday 18 October 2007 16:37:59 Joe Conway escreveu:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > so it's trying to pstrdup a null result from SPI_getvalue.
> >
> > Obviously it shouldn't crash, but I'm not sure what it *should* do in
> > this case.  Joe?
>
> The row is pretty useless without a rowid in this context -- it seems
> like the best thing to do would be to skip those rows entirely. Of
> course you could argue I suppose that it ought to throw an ERROR and
> bail out entirely. Maybe a good compromise would be to skip the row but
> throw a NOTICE?

If I were using it and having this problem I'd rather have an ERROR.  It isn't
uncommon for people not look at their logs and it isn't uncommon for them
just run command from some language using a database adapter that might not
return the NOTICE output.  The ERROR wouldn't pass unnoticed.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>