Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > > The real question is, "is it proprietary". If it is even partially
> > > closed source then it really doesn't belong in the "postgresql
> > > family product" unless we also include MPP and Replicator.
> >
> > You know what I mean :-). And all of EDB-Postgres is open source,
> > including the funky little MySQL migrator tool in the latest builds.
>
> Uh, doesn't the installer use a commercial product that isn't open
> source?  Does requiring non-open source tools to build something make
> it non-open source?  Postgres requires a C compiler that can be open
> or closed source so I don't know if that helps clarify things.

Well I think I C compiler is a little different.

If the Installer is closed source, that is part of the package and I
would consider that a show stopper, because I need a closed source
package to install the software...

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL