Re: What encoding to use for English, French, Spanish - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: What encoding to use for English, French, Spanish
Date
List pgsql-general
novnov wrote:
> My project is currently SQL_ASCII encoded. I will need to accomodate
> both French and Spanish in addition to English. I don't anticipate
> needing Far East languages. Reading here on the forums I come up with
> Latin9 as perhaps adequate. But others recommend unicode for
> relatively simple needs like my own.

LATIN9 or UTF-8 are the appropriate choices for your project.  The
choice between these is mostly a matter of taste, unless there are
additional requirements in the project.  Nowadays, many operating
systems configure themselves to use Unicode by default, and so there is
probably no reason to use a more restricted character set.

Note that some versions of PostgreSQL have various degrees of trouble
with UTF-8 support.  Be sure to use the latest version.

--
Peter Eisentraut