Re: Using rsync for base backups for PITR - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Using rsync for base backups for PITR
Date
List pgsql-admin
Scott Whitney wrote:
> In the same way that you don't have a valid archive while the tar is
> running, no? In either case, I have to archive the WAL segments used during
> the file system backup, right?

Well, with the tar I assume you still have the old tar around.  This is
not true with the rsync update you suggested.

> Is rsync a supported method for a warm standby server? Specifically, I'm
> thinking about:
> http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html

Well, the standby is fine while the rsync is not runing, but while
syncing that backup has an inconsistent view of the database.  PITR
works only because the PITR logs fix up any consistencies.  The rsync is
not the same as a file system snapshot.