Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 01:06:11AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:

> > > It would ultimately have been core's decision, but the
> > > discussion should have happened on -hackers.  There was no
> > > reason for it to be private.
> >
> > That blame certainly belongs to me and I apologize for jumping
> > that and adding it to contrib without any -hackers discussion.
> >
> > It is definitely a timing issue since I write this very email from
> > JFK, boarding a flight to Hong Kong in less than an hour and will
> > be mostly offline for the rest of the week.
>
> I don't see how timing has anything to do with this.  You could have
> added it between beta1 and beta2 after sufficient hackers
> discussion.  Doing it the way you did with no warning, right before
> beta, and then leaving is the worse of all times.  I am surprised we
> are not backing out the patch and requiring that the patch go
> through the formal review process.

The feature is great, and it should stay on pgfoundry or other
suitable place until the 8.4 development cycle.  I believe it would
make a great addition to the core product, but only in 8.4.

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate