Re: PG_TRY(), PG_CATCH().... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PG_TRY(), PG_CATCH()....
Date
List pgsql-general
Alex Vinogradovs wrote:

> Which works fine with successful queries, but for each
> unsuccessful query it complains about reference leaks
> and not properly closed relations.
>  Later on I've solved that with use of subtransactions, which
> provide some proper cleanup mechanisms, but I was wondering
> if it is possible to bypass that layer, and make the code
> above work fine just by doing some cleanup within the catch
> block.

The only code that knows how to cleanup completely after transaction
failure is the subtransaction code.  If you need to do something that
may cause a transaction abort, then you must use subtransactions.

(You could of course write "your own layer" but it would duplicate
subtransaction start/abort so there wouldn't be any point.)

It's expensive, yes, but there are good reasons for that.  If you are
worried about that, I'm sure there are optimizations possible.