Re: Encoding and i18n - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Encoding and i18n
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:

> Reading the commit message about the TZ encoding issue I'm curious why this
> isn't a more widespread problem. How does gettext now what encoding we want
> messages in? How do we prevent things like to_char(now(),'month') from
> producing strings in an encoding different from the database's encoding?

The PO files include encoding information, so it's easy for the server
to recode them from that to the server (or client) encoding, as
appropriate.

Of course, then it is up to the translator to get it right ... but I
think when he doesn't, people notice fairly quickly.