Re: Large Result and Memory Limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Large Result and Memory Limit
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe escribió:
> On 10/4/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Mike Ginsburg wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >  I am working on a personnel registry that has upwards of 50,000
> > > registrants.  Currently I am working on an export module that will create a
> > > CSV from multiple tables.  I have managed to keep the script (PHP) under
> > > the memory limit when creating and inserting the CSV into the database.
> > > The problem comes when I try to query for the data and export it.  Memory
> > > limit is a major concern, but the query for one row returns a result set
> > > too large and PHP fails.
> >
> > One row?  Wow, I didn't know PHP was that broken.
>
> No, it's not php, it's his approach that's broken.

Oh, I didn't realize that's what he was saying.

Of course, you can get the thing out of the database using substring()
but really this is a matter of really poor design.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"No hay cielo posible sin hundir nuestras raíces