Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Decibel!
Subject Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 04:57:24PM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 04:47:40PM +0200, Maila Fatticcioni wrote:
> > The servers are cross connected with a common 100 Mbit/sec Ethernet so I
> > think they have a bandwidth around 80 Mbit/sec (even if I haven't yet
> > done any test on it). A rate of 70Mb seems reasonable to me.
>
> Umm, seriously? Unless that was a typo, you should consider very seriously to
> go to gigabit; it's cheap these days, and should provide you with a very
> decent speed boost if the network bandwidth is the bottleneck.

Actually, in this case, I suspect that latency will be far more critical
than overall bandwidth. I don't know if it's inherent to Gig-E, but my
limited experience has been that Gig-E has higher latency than 100mb.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment