Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
Re: Change the name
Re: Change the name
List pgsql-advocacy
Andy, Ron, Peter, etc.:

> Josh, we simply need to decide if we want to do it or not. Lots of
> people have volunteered to help (including us), and the implementation
> project plan can be a team effort of those people.

Ok, that didn't come out right.

To restate:

The next step of this process is NOT a poll.  The next step of "should we
do it or not" is a rough draft of a plan which shows all of the "costs" of
changing the name and how we're going to meet them, as well as the Pros
and Cons of changing vs. not changing.

There is no point in even talking further about changing the name of the
project if we don't have the resources to do the change.  There's
particularly no point in doing a survey of people's uninformed opinions
about the issue; community members need to see a cost-benefit analysis
*first,* not after a vote.

In other words, before we take a vote on whether the bike shed should be
red, we should first check to see if we can afford red paint.

Such a proposal should also include other options like Ron Mayer's very
sensible 20-minute solution (e.g. "Postgres and Postgre are acceptable
alternate names").

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus