Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 03 September 2007 19:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Regardless of the intent and of the best efforts of core and
> > the entire community the name is changing _now_ and _gradually_.
>
> Jan says our name is already being changed to Postgre`.  I thought that
> was pretty funny.

Really? It's actually true. According to the google analytics report on
keywords that drive traffic to our site, the top four are:

postgresql    14%
postgres        7%
postgre        2%
postgre sql    1%

I should also bring up again the survey of postgresql community members where
we asked how people pronounced "PostgreSQL" the top four were:

post-gres-q-l        45%
postgres            30%
postgres-sequal    11%
post-gree            7%

As you can see from both cases, while the numbers are still on the lower end,
they are significant enough to show up clearly on the radar.  In fact, it
wouldn't suprise me if within the next year or two, postgree actually becomes
a more popular pronounciation than postgres-sequal; a lot of non-native
english speakers (Indians for example) see an obvious split between postgre
and sql in the name. For them postgre is no more wierd than postgres, so as
thier numbers grow as users of the software, expect to see thier
pronounciation more and more.

Personally I also think it is worth noting that of the 55% of community
members who do think the SQL is significant in the name, even they don't
agree on how it should be pronounced, but that's kind of a side issue.

--
Robert Treat