Re: pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Ralph Smith wrote:

> I'm preparing to upgrade a 7.4.7 DB to 8.2.4.
> I just got connectivity from new to old (different hosts), and being
> a newhire and no-one had ever done any maintenance on the old DB, I
> connected as joe-user to the old DB using the client of the new.
> (joe-user is the owner of the DB)
>
> I  did some analyze and vacuum-ing on two tables.
> The last thing I did there was
>  >vacuum full verbose tablename;
> I did it twice to see the differing results.
> It was HUGE and now is smaller.
>
> I next tried to do a \dt and suddenly....
>
>     airburst=> \dt
>     ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog.pg_roles" does not exist

Which version of psql were you using?  psql doesn't really have good
support for backslash commands where the server and client are of mixed
versions -- for example, an 8.2.x psql will look for system tables that
didn't exist in 7.4.x.