Re: Future of krb5 authentication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Future of krb5 authentication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:45:19AM +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Now that we have working GSSAPI authentication, I'd like to see the
> > following done:
> >
> > * Deprecate krb5 authentication in 8.3. At least in documentation, possibly
> > with a warning when loading pg_hba.conf?
> > * Remove krb5 authenticatino completely in 8.4.
>
> libpq would still work against older server versions, right?

Not once krb5 is removed. Assuming the older server version used krb5 auth.
I want to remove it from both libpq and the server.
(8.3 libpq would of course work with older versions, since it's only
deprecated at that point)

I guess a compromise would be to remove it from the server in 8.4 and libpq
in 8.5 or so, if people think that it's a problem. But I think we definitly
want to get it out of libpq as well eventually.

//Magnus