Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related press release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related press release
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 08:05:17PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This article:
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news/2194087/database-ticket
>
> and the associated press release:
>
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/07_11_07.do
>
> Caused quite the storm on IRC.  In response to the following prompt:
>
> (07:52:16 PM) davidfetter: so, linuxpoet, since you've urged me so many
> times in private, i'm urging you in semi-public, to start that thread :)
>
> I post...
>
> I would kindly ask EDB to consider how this looks overall.  Everyone
> is used to marketing speak but this is pretty much a blatant slap in
> the face about the very product that is the core of what you and all
> your venture capitalists bet the farm on.

If this were an isolated incident, I wouldn't be mentioning it here,
but it appears to be marketing policy at EnterpriseDB, and a
long-standing one.  EnterpriseDB has done a lot for the community, and
continues to, but this kind of thing really blights the discourse.

While we're at it, telling people that EnterpriseDB is 200% faster
than an untuned PostgreSQL is misleading and dishonest, as is
preventing even the community from doing benchmarks.  Please stop.

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate