Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:04:38AM +0200, Hannes Dorbath wrote:
> This god like faith of some admins in package maintainers, that they
> know what's right, good and stable for them, sometimes really worries me.

The problem is the mismatch between what distrbuters want and what the
postgres team wants. For distributors "stable" means no behavioural
changes, whereas the postgresql team does bug fixes, some of which
definitly make behavioural changes that would make previously working
programs break.

Backports is usually a good compromise.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.