Re: Still recommending daily vacuum... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Still recommending daily vacuum...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:

> This all started with the question about whether the documentation should
> say anything about vacuum schedules other than "enable autovacuum."
> My point was that I have a use case where I think that a scheduled vacuum
> will be better than leaving everything to autovacuum.  I may not be the only
> one, so I'm thinking the documentation should discuss where an explicit
> schedule might be useful.

Fair enough, you are correct that this scenario may be a useful one to
describe in the docs.

There are plans to add some sort of scheduling to autovacuum so that it
choses different settings based on time/date.  It may be useful for you
as well (though of course they are 8.4 material at best ...), and we may
consider shrinking the docs (or at least reshaping them) a bit at that
time.

> The changes sound good, but I don't see the point of having any vacuum
> activity during the work week on the big tables in the database I was
> describing.

Of course.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early.He arrives precisely when he means to."  (Gandalf, en LoTR