Re: pg_dump and minor versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_dump and minor versions
Date
Re: pg_dump and minor versions
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 03:09:30PM +0200, Bernd Helmle wrote:
> Short question:
>
> While playing around with various postgresql installations i recognized
> that pg_dump complaints even within major-releases about different
> minor-numbers, such as:
>
> pg_dump: server version: 8.2.4; pg_dump version: 8.2.0
>
> I thought we are safe against pg_dump changes within a minor release, or
> i'm wrong?

Unless there are fixes *in* pg_dump. You should always try to use the
latest minor version for both server and client tools, since they contain
important bugfixes in general. That said, it will mosto ften work fine with
an older minor version one.

//Magnus