Re: yet another simple SQL question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: yet another simple SQL question
Date
List pgsql-sql
am  Mon, dem 25.06.2007, um 12:44:25 -0500 mailte Joshua folgendes:
> Ok,
>
> You guys must be getting sick of these newbie questions, but I can't
> resist since I am learning a lot from these email lists and getting
> results quick! Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
>
> Here is my questions....
>
> I have a column that looks like this
>
> firstname
> -----------------
> John B
> Mark A
> Jennifer D
>
> Basically I have the first name followed by a middle initial. Is there a
> quick command I can run to strip the middle initial? Basically, I just
> need to delete the middle initial so the column would then look like the
> following:
>
> firstname
> ---------------
> John
> Mark
> Jennifer

Yes, of course:

test=# select split_part('My Name', ' ', 1);
 split_part
 My
(1 row)

And now, i think, you should read our fine manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer