Re: Using many pg_dump in pgAdmin (aka Re : Re : p g_dump: ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED in 8.1) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Using many pg_dump in pgAdmin (aka Re : Re : p g_dump: ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED in 8.1)
Date
List pgadmin-support

toa 8.2 server, I must use a 8.2 server; ...". There should be an option for doing that automatically: I should not
needto switch from a pg_dump to another when I switch servers.

> That's not strictly right.
>
> If you want a backup, you also want to restore it. And this is the real
> question. On which release do you want to restore it ? you can dump a
> 7.4 database with a 8.0 pg_dump and you will probably be able to restore
> it on a 8.2 database. But there's good chance you won't be able to
> restore it on a 7.4 database.
>
> Why ? Just because each new release adds new syntax specifics that older
> releases don't understand.

The recommended method is to always dump using the pg_dump from the version of PostgreSQL you will be restoring to -
thatway the dump is written in the most appropriate format.

> So, it's better to have the same release on the restored database and
> the pg_dump. You can use an older release, there's a good chance it will
> work. You can (try to) restore it on an older release, but you'll need
> luck to restore it succesfully.

Yup.

> I agree pgAdmin should let the users choose the pg_dump binary they
> want, but unfortunately, pgAdmin can't say which release will be the
> good one.

Exactly.

> I'm sorry, I'm sure my english is really bad this time. Perhaps Dave can
> explain a bit better than I did.

Your explanation is fine.

/D