Re: pg_restore out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_restore out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> >The memory dump only comes out on stderr (I think because of paranoia
> >about running out of memory while trying to report we're out of memory).
> >Can you get the postmaster's stderr output?
>
> >From stderr
>
> pg_restore: restoring data for table "message_attachments"
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 2146; 0 988154 TABLE DATA
> message_attachments pgsql

This is pg_restore's stderr.  What Tom wants to see is postmaster's.  It
is probably redirected (hopefully to a file, but regretfully it is
common to see it go to /dev/null) on the init script that starts the
service.

If it's going to /dev/null, change it to somewhere more reasonable and
try again.  Or you could start the postmaster by hand on a terminal
under your control.