Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 05 June 2007 23:55:20 Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 23:40 +0200, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I need to run both 8.1 and 8.2 at the same time in order to check
> > everything in 8.2 *before* shutting 8.1 down.
> > I need to run both as I only have one machine available.
> > I'm using a debian derivateive (Kubuntu) that provides a nice pg_wrapper
> > mechanism to direct connections for tools to either version you want.
> > Infact I see both versions running, one on port 5432 and one on port
> > 5433. The point is thay I have no clue on ow to choose which instance
> > attach to. I've already posted this question to the KUbuntu team with no
> > answer in 14+ hours.
> >
> > Is there anyone with a good hint?
>
> man pg_wrapper
>
> psql --cluster 8.1/main -d your_database

Much better, as I've been told:

pg_lsclusters

will show all the active clusters.
The bad point is that there's a lack of information or, at least, of
cross references.

The "main" cluster is mentioned only in
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-<VER>/README.Debian.gz
and not in the manpages. And ther's no cross reference into the
pg_wrapper(1), user_clusters(5) or postgresqlrc(5) man pages.
But the point is that I'm a newbie so maybe it's just my fault!

--
Vincenzo Romano