Re: performance drop on 8.2.4, reverting to 8.1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: performance drop on 8.2.4, reverting to 8.1.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 05:30:14PM -0400, Steven Flatt wrote:
> (A) LEFT JOIN (B) ON col WHERE B.col IS NULL
>
> These queries are much slower on 8.2 than on 8.1 for what looks like the
> reason outlined above.  I have rewritten a few key queries to be of the
> equivalent form:
>
> (A) WHERE col NOT IN (SELECT col FROM (B))

At least those _can_ be rewritten into a sane form. I have an application
with a large FULL OUTER JOIN, where _both_ sides can return NULLs. (It's
basically a diff between a "current" and a "wanted" state.)

It performs reasonably well under both 8.1 and 8.2, though. Fourteen-table
join or so :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/