Re: multimaster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: multimaster
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:50:09AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> What you are basically saying below is... web 2.0 developers such as
> rails developers have so fundamentally broken the way it is supposed to
> be done, we should too...

I don't know that's all there is to it.  After all, we support arrays
in the database, which ought to make any relational purist shudder.
It seems to me that there _are_ legitimate limits to single-back-end
approaches, even for well designed systems, and being able to spread
some of that load around would be a big advantage.  I just don't want
to do it without thinking hard about what the compromises might be,
and figuring out which ones to make.  "Breaks transactional model",
for instance, is right out :)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin