Re: Versionning (was: Whole-row comparison) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Versionning (was: Whole-row comparison)
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 08:07:46PM +0300, christian.roche.ext@nsn.com wrote:
> I've contemplated reusing an awful hack from my Access era, namely using
> a single-rowed table to store the parameter and joining the view on it.
> The parameter would be updated before the view is called; this would
> work but would definitely be ugly.  Can someone think of a better way to
> do that ?

I sort of don't see how that hack would be any different from a SRF.
You'd lose the planner benefits anyway, I think, because you'd have
to plan for the generic case where the data could be anything, no?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."    --Damien Katz