Re: Rewriting DISTINCT and losing performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chuck D.
Subject Re: Rewriting DISTINCT and losing performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Monday 21 May 2007 05:40, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Chuck D. wrote:
>
> Any good reason why country_id is NULLable?

It has been a while since I imported the data so it took some time to examine
it but here is what I found.

In the original data, some cities do not have coutries.  Strange huh?  Most
were in the Gaza Strip, No Man's Land or disputed territory where several
countries claimed ownership.  This is according to USGS and the board of
names.

Recognizing that this did me no good in my application I decided to repair
that data so that country_id could have a NOT NULL modifier.