Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date
Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
List pgsql-performance
Sebastian,

> Before inventing a hyper tool, we might consider to provide 3-5 example
> szenarios for common hardware configurations. This consumes less time
> and be discussed and defined in a couple of days. This is of course not
> the correct option for a brandnew 20 spindle Sata 10.000 Raid 10 system
> but these are probably not the target for default configurations.

That's been suggested a number of times, but some GUCs are really tied to the
*exact* amount of RAM you have available.  So I've never seen how "example
configurations" could help.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun