Re: Sunfire X4500 recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dimitri
Subject Re: Sunfire X4500 recommendations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Friday 23 March 2007 03:20, Matt Smiley wrote:
> My company is purchasing a Sunfire x4500 to run our most I/O-bound
> databases, and I'd like to get some advice on configuration and tuning.
> We're currently looking at: - Solaris 10 + zfs + RAID Z
>  - CentOS 4 + xfs + RAID 10
>  - CentOS 4 + ext3 + RAID 10
> but we're open to other suggestions.

Matt,

for Solaris + ZFS you may find answers to all your questions here:

  http://blogs.sun.com/roch/category/ZFS
  http://blogs.sun.com/realneel/entry/zfs_and_databases

Think to measure log (WAL) activity and use separated pool for logs if needed.
Also, RAID-Z is more security-oriented rather performance, RAID-10 should be
a better choice...

Rgds,
-Dimitri