Re: Stats for multi-column indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Stats for multi-column indexes
Date
Re: Stats for multi-column indexes  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> >>>
> >>Maybe you would want to keep single column indexes too, so that (more)
> >>accurate estimates for bitmap-and type plans are possible.
> >
> >We should allow the DBA to specify which groups of cols to keep
> >statistics on, if there is no index on that group.
> >
> >That solves the combinatorial explosion problem.
>
> This is one hint I think everyone can agree on. Being able to say that
> values in different columns are related just gives the planner more
> information to work with.

It was also suggested that column pairs in FK relationship could be
automatically enabled.  So you don't need to specify those manually.

Now, the hard question is deciding what to keep track of.  I don't think
MCV makes much sense, because what's the MCV of two columns?  Some sort
of correlation index would seem to make certain sense.