Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:19:31PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Even if we went through the insane pain (for me at least) of maintaining
> multiple branches of the Windows build of PostgreSQL, *and* custom
> builds of the utilities built against a single libpq, we still couldn't
> ship a single set because pg_dumpall.v80.exe wouldn't find
> pg_dump.v80.exe without modification of the source.

Debian for years has been running a system where multiple versions can
be co-installed and if you call pg_dumpall it calls the right pg_dump,
you just have to indicate the cluster you want to operate on.

Porting it to Windows could be tricky though, given its use of symlinks
and wrapper scripts.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment