Re: insert rule instead oddity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: insert rule instead oddity
Date
Re: insert rule instead oddity  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 02:15:01PM +0200, Sim Zacks wrote:
> select version()
> "PostgreSQL 8.0.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.3.5  (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5-r1, ssp-3.3.2-3,
> pie-8.7.7.1)"
>
> I am sure that I must have missed something here because I read the
> documentation and searched the forums and it all seems fairly
> straightforward.

Rules don't work the way you think they do. They're sort of macro
expansions. What's ahppening when you insert is the rule splits it into
two statements, one insert and one update, with the where conditions
adjusted. Depending on the order I imagine that it could do both.

I don't think rules can do what you want. What you need in the SQL
MERGE command, but postgresql doesn't support that. A stored procedure
could do it.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment