Re: SHA-1 vs MD5 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: SHA-1 vs MD5
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:04:18PM -0300, Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I know that there is a md5 internal function on postgresql, but I noticed
> that it isn't the more secure today. I would like to know if there is a
> SHA-1 function implemented yet of, if not, if the team has plan to introduce
> it on PostgreSQL.

What is the problem you're trying to solve?  Md5 is probably good
enough for many cases, but for long-term use, you're right that sha-1
is what you need.  Actually, you need sha-256, quite frankly.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.    --J.D. Baldwin