Re: I'd love to know what the rest of this error message is. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dlivesay@covad.net
Subject Re: I'd love to know what the rest of this error message is.
Date
Re: I'd love to know what the rest of this error message is.  ("Jan Muszynski" <postgres@jancm.org>)
List pgsql-general
Quoting Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>:

>> I've been using PostgreSQL on Mac OS X for a few years, but now I'm
>> trying to
>> install it on a WIndows computer so someone else can use it, and I'm getting
>> the following error message when I try to advance beyond the "Service
>> Configuration" screen in the installer:
>>
>> "Your local 'Administrators' group contains 'Authenticated Users'.
>> This is a common configuration error that causes security issues. For this
>> reason, Postgr"
>>
>> That's it. Apparently the whole error message doesn't fit in the
>> error dialog,
>> but there's no way to resize the window.
>>
>> Does anybody know what the rest of this message might be? Bonus
>> points if you
>> can explain what it means, and especially if you can explain what to
>> do about
>> it.
>>
>> I suspect this is more a WIndows problem than a PostgreSQL problem, but I'm
>> afraid I don't know that much about Windows. I'm a Mac/Unix kind of
>> guy, and I
>> try to avoid using WIndows whenever possible because this kind of
>> stuff always
>> happens.
>
> I don't know 100%, but it looks like the "authenticated users" group is a
> member of the "administrators" group.  This means that anyone who logs in
> to the workstation is an administrator.  It's a complete lack of security,
> but it's also very common (in my experience) for Windows workstations.
>
> I'm guessing that the PG installer is being anal and refusing to allow you
> to install on such a poorly configured system, but that part I don't know.
>
> My suggestion would be to fix the users/groups on the Windows system so there
> is a special administrative user, then remove authenticated users from the
> administrator group.

When I saw this error I immediately went to the "Local Users and
Groups" control
panel to see if I could figure out what the heck it was talking about, and I
swear there is no group called "Authenticated Users". That's what's so
baffling
about this, apart from the incomplete error message.