Re: SOC & user quotas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: SOC & user quotas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 28 February 2007 18:02, Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Joachim Wieland wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:56:13PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It hasn't ever made it onto the TODO list, which means there's not a
> >> consensus that we need it.
> >
> > Such a patch could improve the acceptance of PostgreSQL in shared hosting
> > environments. Note that a database without quotas can be filled up easily
> > and the database will stop serving requests to other users' databases.
>
> Yes, I agree.
>
> > There is a quota implementation already in the archives but I don't know
> > more about it than that it exists:
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-07/msg00392.php
>
> I remember that thread, but I think there was no patch at all, at least I
> didn't see it.

Sergey, could you do a little research on what behavior other databases that
support user quotes exhibit?  This might help folks judge whether any
proposed solution for postgres will be above or below potential users
expectations.

--
Robert Treat