Re: Simple Column reordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Simple Column reordering
Date
Re: Simple Column reordering  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 11:20 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I realized this proposal has been withdrawn, but the fact the proposal
> > even illicited comments exploring it requires me to comment.
> >
> > Folks, how can we entertain ideas that would break SELECT * and
> > no-column-list INSERTs for a small performance boost?  If there was no
> > other way to get the performance boost, and the features was rarely
> > used, we might consider such a change, but neither is true in this case.
> >
> > My point is that this proposal is so far away from our acceptable
> > criteria that I am worried about how people are analyzing proposals.
>
> When suggested, it wasn't clear to me that it did break anything,
> otherwise I wouldn't have written it up. I read Alvaro's post and

You mentioned in your own original posting that it broke SELECT * and
COPY.

> wondered why that proposal had been overlooked, so I started a separate
> thread to ensure that the idea was discussed. That seems very similar to
> many of your own posts.

True, but usually I don't see the breakage.  What concerned me is you
saw some of the breakage, but still went ahead with the proposal.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com