Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Warren Turkal
Subject Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 25 February 2007 23:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> It was mentioned upthread that Josh has seen repeated problems with his
> conversions.  I too would like to see some details about that.  One
> thing that I personally would find to be a showstopper for any proposed
> switch is if it fails to maintain our change histories; in particular,
> if it's not still possible to pull an exact copy of any given prior
> release, it'll be no sale.  I gather from this thread that svn has by
> far the closest storage model to cvs of any of the available
> alternatives ... so if svn has conversion problems, what's it gonna
> be like with another one?

With atomic commits, the exports from svn to other SCMSes seem to work better
than from cvs to svn (or any other for that matter). I believe the reason is
that you have to infer the commits in cvs whereas it is explicit in the other
systems. To convert to git, for instance, I converted to svn and then
imported that.

wt
--
Warren Turkal (w00t)