Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew D. Fuller
Subject Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 06:28:20PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Andrew Dunstan, and lo! it spake thus:

> I don't really drink this koolaid, at least not to the extent of
> disavowing what I said above.

Oh, don't take my message as "You're wrong, you're not taking into
account [...]".  It was meant more as a "This is a convenient place to
make [...] explicit".

It seems that there are really 3 sequential questions here.

1) Do we switch VCS's?
  The averaged answer to this is pretty much "Probably, but not right  now, and not in the very near future".  Given
that,the rest of the  discussion is probably somewhat pointless; at the least it should  be carried out with this
answerkept firmly in mind.

2) Do we go the DVCS route?, and only after THAT is resolved do we go  on to:

3) Which VCS?

The feature/capability lists of the various DVCS's contain a mix of
those features which are inherent in (or at least pretty much
universal among) DVCS's as a class, and those which are more
particular to the given system.  But in a discussion of which VCS to
(hypothetically) use, you really want to separate them out so you can
know when you're arguing for/against $SYSTEM, and when you're arguing
for/against $CLASS_OF_SYSTEMS.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net
Systems/Network Administrator |  http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/          On the Internet, nobody can hear you