Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem
Date
Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-performance
Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 02:05:57PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> > In searching the archives, I can't find any specific info indentifying
> > which Xeon processors don't have this problem.
>
> AFAIK the cut-off point is at the Woodcrests. They are overall much better
> suited to PostgreSQL than the older Xeons were.
>
> It's slightly unfortunate that AMD and Intel cling to the Opteron and Xeon
> names even though they're making significant architecture changes, but that's
> life, I guess.

AFAIR Intel has been calling their server processors Xeon since Pentium
Pro's, at least.