Re: Multiple Storage per Tablespace, or Volumes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Multiple Storage per Tablespace, or Volumes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 07:10:52PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:

> Isn't this one of the big use cases for table partitioning?

Sure, but you can't detach that data in the meantime, AFAIK.  Maybe
I've missed something.

If I have 10 years of finace data, and I have to keep it all online
all the time, my electricity costs alone are outrageous.  If I can
know _where_ the data is without being able to get it until I've
actually made it available, then my query tools could be smart enough
to detect "table partitioned; this data is offline", I could roll
back to my savepoint, return a partial result set to the user, and
tell it "call back in 24 hours for your full report".

Yes, I know, hands waving in the air.  But I already said I was
having a "you know what would be sweet" moment.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.     --Dennis Ritchie