Re: Is it normal for Autovacuum running continuously? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Is it normal for Autovacuum running continuously?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Michael Goldner wrote:
> I notice in my postgres logfile that autovacuum is running every minute.
> The server had no overnight activity, yet this has been going on for days.
> Overall performance of the database seems to be slow, and I assume that it
> is related.

It is normal.  I doubt your performance problem is related to
autovacuum.  When you say "overall performance seems to be slow", it
means you haven't actually measured individual queries and found that
they are actually slow, no?

> I'm running 8.1.4 on Redhat EL4.3.
>
> Is this normal for autovacuum?

Yes.