Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:19:51PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
> >There was also mention of having a means to tell pg_dump not to dump
> >extensions...
>
> What's the use case for that? What will we do if there are db objects
> that depend on some extensions? Given that there will be some uninstall
> support, this one seems less necessary.

Well, the use case is someone using tsearch2 on version A and wants to
a do a dump to restore into later version B. It would be helpful if
pg_dump compacted the whole tsearch2 infrastrcutre into a single
"INSTALL tsearch2" command. Obviously, the tsearch2 uninstall script
for version B isn't going to work properly for a database restore from
version A. And this way a dump/restore will pickup any new features
added in the later version.

> I really think we should approach this by not trying to do everything at
> once.

That's true, but it's something to keep in mind.

Have a nice day,