Re: Problem with Online-Backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Problem with Online-Backup
Date
List pgsql-general
At 09:36 AM 2/2/2007, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > OTOH, I still take a full base backup every night and keep ten days
> > worth of WAL files on our backup server, so I guess maybe I don't
> > *completely* trust it :-)
>
>Or you don't trust tape to be 100% reliable.

Well so far tapes get chewed up by drives at intervals that are not
far apart enough for me. And I've heard horror stories of tapes not
being restorable using a different drive but same model etc (just not
the same physical drive used for the backup).

I suppose these problems are fixed by now in the latest tape drives,
or were just "urban legends"? Right? *looks about nervously*...

Nowadays I also wonder about the restoration times of say 200GB or
even TBs of data from backups. More fun if there are Very Important
and Influential People popping in every 15 minutes to ask whether
it's done yet.

:p

Link.