Re: 14.4 If You Are Upgrading - Suggested Improvements - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: 14.4 If You Are Upgrading - Suggested Improvements
Date
List pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have updated the installation documentation to clarify major vs.
> minor releases;  patch attached and applied.  I always suspected we
> were unclear on this.  Comments welcome.  I am not inclined to
> backpatch this to 8.2.X because it might be too significant a change.
>  URL of new text:

I think this is too weak:

"""
If you are upgrading from the same major version, the new version can
use your current data files, so a backup and restore is optional. If
you wish to avoid the backup/restore, merely skip those steps below.
"""

You write the backup/restore for minor versions is "optional", but when
would you make use of this option and why would users "wish" or not
wish to skip the steps?  The fact is, the backup and restore is not
optional, it is just unnecessary, and there is no question about
whether to skip the rest or not.
--
Peter Eisentraut