Re: Autovacuum Improvements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date
List pgsql-general
Simon Riggs wrote:

> Perhaps we should focus on the issues that might result, so that we
> address those before we spend time on the details of the user interface.
> Can we deadlock or hang from running multiple autovacuums?

If you were to run multiple autovacuum processes the way they are today,
maybe.  But that's not my intention -- the launcher would be the only
one to read the catalogs; the workers would be started only to do a
single VACUUM job.  This reduces the risk of this kind of problems.