Re: vacuum process taking more than 33 hours - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: vacuum process taking more than 33 hours
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:44:15PM +0000, Ezequiel Luis Pellettieri wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Why don't you try droping all indexes exept but the constraints ones for
> each table.

I don't have the problem, so I don't know whether that will help.

> then you'll free aprox half of DB size. then re-create indexes,  one by one.
> and finally you can perform a full vacuum.
>
> that worked for me. :)

On some versions of Postgres, it will, but AFAIK the latest versions
don't have the same index bloat problems.  Moreover, if your vacuum
regime is right, you should _never_ have to VACUUM FULL.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?    --attr. John Maynard Keynes