Re: Performance of PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Performance of PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux
Date
Re: Performance of PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:24:24PM -0500, Jeremy Haile wrote:
> I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find
> any recent posts. (I am running PostgreSQL 8.2)
>
> I have always ran PostgreSQL on Linux in the past, but the company I am
> currently working for uses Windows on all of their servers.  I don't
> have the luxury right now of running my own benchmarks on the two OSes,
> but wanted to know if anyone else has done a performance comparison.  Is
> there any significant differences?

One thing to consider... I've seen a case or two where pgbench running
on windows with HyperThreading enabled was actually faster than with it
turned off. (General experience has been that HT hurts PostgreSQL). I
suspect that the windows kernel may have features that allow it to
better utilize HT than linux.

Of course if you don't have HT... it doesn't matter. :)