Re: Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Evans
Subject Re: Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Shoaib Mir wrote:

>>> We are trying to achieve High Availability over load balancing, so
> basically we always try and have 2 databases in the same state while >>both
> are active,
>
> What problems do you see with Slony + Linux HA combo there? I think a Slony
> failover can do the same and promote a slave node to master in case of a
> master node failure, and then you can actually do the load balancing by
> using the slave nodes in the system.
>
> Please let me know on any updates for OpenSSI if you get a chance to try
> that out
>
> -------------------
> Shoaib Mir
> EnterpriseDB ( www.enterprisedb.com)

I have a simillar problem, such that the HA aspect involves multiple data
centers. I can deploy multiple systems within a single data center and
achieve HA within that data center using the techniques discussed in this
thread. What I have not been able to come up with a good semi-general
purpose solution to is cross-data-center HA. As a result we are using very
application specific techniques to try to address this, but the longer
term maintenance we suspect will be high. How do others deal with this
problem?

- Marc