Re: which version? old user coming back.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Harris
Subject Re: which version? old user coming back....
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 04:23:10PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'd advise you to be using a 2.6 kernel at this point, too.  I don't
> know what the Centos guys have in mind as a schedule for releasing
> a 2.6-based distro, but again Fedora is at least as good a bet if you
> want a Red Hat based distro without official Red Hat support.

FWIW, CentOS is basically following RedHat Enterprise Linux, building
distros based on the sources RedHat releases for their Enterprise Linux.
Thus CentOS 4 is RHEL 4, which is 2.6 based.

My CentOS 4.4 (RHEL4update4) is running a Linux 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL kernel.
Of course RedHat version numbers (and thus CentOS) don't really compare
to the actual software.  All this means is they started with a 2.6.9
kernel and have heavily patched it (at least 42 releases of the package).

--

rgds
Stephen