Re: Using SAN Splits to instantly copy a DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Using SAN Splits to instantly copy a DB
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:25:38PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> However, what if the WAL is not on the SAN?  You'd have to shut down
> pg anyway, in order to copy the WAL to a new directory, no?

You have to copy the *entire* cluster, you cannot split out one
database, for example. Two postmaster instances cannot share data,
period.

> Lastly: in order to do SAN splitting without risking your data,
> wouldn't you have to configure the disks as RAID-15 (mirrored
> RAID-5), since splitting a RAID10 would leave you with stripesets?

As long as you get all the data it OK. I'm not 100% clear on what SAN
splitting is so I'm not totally sure.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment